Vain? Moi? Never!
Obviously, Doran is my name. But it's an odd name, I admit. Because it's unusual, it tends to jump out at me when I see it used. There was a brief time during which I hated my name, I now think of it as a gift. Thank God I wasn't named Bob! (Uh, no offense Bob. Okay?) Having an unusual name helped me think of myself as an individual.
I'm told that the name Doran is a variant of the name Dorian, as in Dorian Gray. I've been told Dorian is Greek for "From the Sea" but I have yet to verify that. A beautiful Irish lass (whose last name happens to be Doran) who used to serve me Guinness at the local pub says it's an old, venerable surname in Eire. A number of people have emailed me to say that Doran is Celtic for Alien or Stranger (at least as a Surname). Hmmm...
When I was young, I was told that I was named after a football player. Later I was told it was a combination of my grandmother's name, Dorothy, and that of another female relative named Ann. I'm not exactly sure how the two stories fit together, but it makes for interesting speculation.
Doran's World Wide List of Dorans
- People (First names*)
- It wasn't until 1995 that I'd even meet anybody else with the first name Doran. His name is Doran Barton (kinda weird, that Barons/Barton thing, huh?) and he goes by the nickname Fozz. Ask him something about Perl.
- Doran Kidd is the person behind the Sotto Voce web site.
- Doran Fish (what a great name!) is a 3D animator and graphic artist in Torrance, California.
- Another person is Doran Anderson
- Also, a nice guy named Doran Hunter (who also named his son Doran)
- There is a person at Notre Dame named Doran Stienike. He never wrote me back (he was probably very busy with all that physics stuff).
- Doran Clark is an actor who appeared in the movie Prototype (starring Christopher Plummer).
- Got a stiff neck? Check out Doran Rhoad's Massage Therapy.
- Doran R. Stark is an M.D. offering Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
- Doran K. Wilde is Associate Professor Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Brigham Young University.
- Doren Garcia (close enough) is a listener to my show who should call in the next time I open phones, just so we confuse everybody else!
- The USGS can provide a wonderful listing of places named Doran.
- There is the city of Doran, Virginia 24612.
- Doran, Minnesota 56530 is in Otter Tail County. Population 78. (Hmmm, sounds like home)
- Then there is Doran, Washington located in Whatcom County.
- There is a page about birding that tells of a Doran Road in Western New York.
- There is a Doran Regional Park on the California coast in Sonoma County.
- There's a Doran Street in Glendale, California.
- Anneloes Fickweiler from The Netherlands wrote to tell me of Monica Furlong's books Wise Child and A Year and a Day. They are said to be very popular and from the small quote I've read they seem to deserve it. In them a Doran is a healer, or good witch.
- Damon Doran is Senior Manager at an Internet company in Japan. He told me about, (and Art Doran and Andrew Doran confirm) the existence of a libation known as Doran Beer. It is brewed in Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins and Port Arthur Canada. I can't wait for my first taste.
- There is the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Point Doran (WPB-82375)
- There's a book titled War Birds- Diary Of An Unknown Aviator....Doran....1926
- Since astronomy is a passion of mine, I love the fact that there is a Doran Planetarium in Canada
- So, you haven't heard of Doran, follower of Tytalus?
- There's Doran's Mudlist, but I don't play in the MUD & I don't have a clue as to what it really is.
- If Dr I G Doran & Partners builds it, they will come.
- There is Doran Communications
- Doran Glass in Potsdam, NY specializes in scientific, technical laboratory and dairy glass.
- There is a company named Doran International that has some kind of software package for models to distribute their photographs via the Net, but I don't know anything else about it.
- If your life is out of balance, cruise on over to Doran Scales, Inc.
- Need to get around, but feeling guilty about all that pollution? Check out the Doran Motor Company
Doran is the 1,961st most popular last name (surname) in the United States (0.006%). And while I'm really looking for the use of Doran as a proper or first name, I don't want to hold that against those fine people for whom Doran is a surname. However there are many thousands of of those folks and of course I can't list them all here. That all said, for now I will include WWW links I find to people with Doran as a last name.
- The Rat in the Hat
- Todd J. Doran's Home Page
- Mike Doran's Web Page
- Eileen Doran-Smith's Home Page
- If you want to know more about Soccer, then Daryl Doran is your man and Lisa Doran is your woman.
- Lindsay Doran produced Sense and Sensibility
- Charles Doran was a member of Ladder Company #3 in the late 1800s.
- Bishop Thomas G. Doran has it on good authority that God really likes the name Doran.
- Vice Admiral Walter F.
Doran knows how to get around.
- J.C. Doran can tell you everything you wanted to know (and more) about "Boundary Layer Characteristics over Areas of Inhomogeneous Surface Fluxes."
- Received in the mail:
I'm a Doran. My father, Matthias Higgins Doran, was born in Kentucky in
1921 and served in WWII (stateside). He became a conductor, composer, ad
music teacher at Mount Saint Mary's College in Los Angeles. He has no
living relatives except his progeny: five children by a Therese Bernuy, to
whom he is still married. He has no grandchildren yet.
There was an Ed
Doran who died in the Civil War (on which side, I don't remember). There
was also a Frank Doran who disappeared whilst looking for gold in Alaska,
I believe, in the early part of this century.
That's all I know. I too
have heard that "Doran" means stranger; I also have heard it is mutated
from Duran from when Spanish persons arrived in Ireland at some point. As
I am dark-eyed and dark haired (though very light-skinned) often people
think I am a Duran. I would be most curious to find the EXACT derivation
of the name and know if there are any existing cognates in Gaelic or
My name, by the by, is Timothy Donald Doran.
- Frank Doran was named Lord Mayor of Liverpool in May of 1996
- John Doran probably won't be receiving the same honor soon.
If you find any more, let me know! Unless you tell me to keep it secret, I'll try to attribute any information I post.
Doran's Home Page